Kasugayama Castle Ruins are known as the site of the former castle of one of the most famous warriors of the Warring States period, Uesugi Kenshin.
It has been designated as a national historic site and is also counted as one of Japan's 100 famous castles.
Dates of construction for the castle are unclear, though it appears to have already existed during the Nanbokucho Era, some 600 years ago. However, the remains of the vast castle as seen today came later, and is thought to be due to the work of Uesugi Kenshin, Kagekatsu, and the Hori clan.
The kanji character for castle is written with two elements, "earth," and "becoming." As such, Kasugayama Castle is truly an earthen castle. By skillfully using the complex topography of the land, the strong citadel was well known throughout Japan for being inpregnable.
Even now, features such as the "Karabori" (empty moat carved by digging ridges in the soil), "Dorui" (embankments built up around the castle) and a "Oido" (great well) remain to be seen.
Another major feature is the "Sougamae," a Japanese castle structure which surrounds the outer base for protection. At the foot of the mountain where the residences and empty moats were built, it extends some 1.2 kilometers around the castle.
From the inner citade ("Honmaru") at 180 meters, visitors can enjoy a view of the Sea of Japan and the Kubikino Plains, as well as the surrounding mountain ranges.
There is also a bronze statue of Uesugi Kenshin, which was produced during the broadcasting of the NHK period drama "Ten to Chi to" (Heaven and Earth) in 1969.
* The position of the bronze statue is shown on the map.
This location is part of these courses
Joetsu mountain castle tour ①
The route Uesugi Kenshin used to Kanto(Kasugayama Castle〜Oma Castle Ruins〜Naumine Castle Ruins）
|Name of places:||Kasugayama Castle|
|Address:||Oaza Nakayashiki, Joetsu-shi, Niigata|
|Traffic access(train):||By Tokimeki Tetsudo: 40 minute walk from Kasugayama Station on the Myoko Haneuma Line to the bronze statue of Uesugi Kenshin at Kasugayama Shrine.|
|Traffic access(bus):||By Kubiki Bus: 20 minutes to the bronze statue from Nakayashiki bus stop. 15 minutes from Kasuga Sanso Mae Bus Stop.|
|Traffic access(car):||By Hokuriku Expressway: 15 minutes by car from the Joetsu IC exit
By Joshinetsu Expressway:: 20 minutes from the Joetsu Takada IC exit
|Tel:||Cultural Administration Office: 025:545:9269
Tourism Promotion Division: 025-526-5111
|Fax:||Cultural Administration Office: 025:545:9273
Tourism Promotion Division: 025-526-6113
|Car parking:||Under Kasugayama Shrine: free parking for up to 30 cars, busses permitted
limited parking for 10 cars on main road near the statue
Kasugayama Castle Ruins (Joetsu city website)
- Iwadonosan Myoujouin Temple
- Iwanohara Vineyard Co., Ltd.
- Oma Castle Ruins
- Otate Koen Park (Otate ato: former Kanto Kanryo palace site)
- Kazamaki Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine Honcho 1
- Kasugayama Castle Historic Site Plaza · Kasugayama Castle Ruins Story Museum
- Kasugayama Shrine
- Katakai Jomon Archives
- Karigane Castle Ruins
- Former Division Commander's Official Residence
- Kyougatake Castle Ruins
- Kenpoji Castle Ruins
- Kota Shrine
- Kobayashi Kokei Memorial Museum of Art, Kobayashi Kokei Historic Residence
- Gochi Kokubunji Temple
- Shin-Etsu Trail (Itakura Ward)
- Shin-Etsu Trail Oshima Ward
- Shin-Etsu Trail (Kiyosato Ward)
- Shin-Etsu Trail Maki Ward
- Shin-etsu Trail (Yasuzuka Ward)
- Junenji 「Hama no Zenkouji」(Temple)
- Joetsu Archaeological Center
- Joetsu City History Museum
- Joetsu Rekishi kan (Joetsu History Museum) Kamabuta Iseki guidance (Historical Site Guidance Center in Kamabuta)
- Jyoukouji Temple
- Nihongi Station (Switch-back Station) Satoma Room Coffee Shop
- Skytopia YuuLand
- Takada Sekai-kan (Movie Theater)
- Takada Machikado Koryukan (formerly Takada branch of Daishi Bank)
- Takahashi Magozaemon Shouten (Takahashi Traditional Sweets)
- Chausu Yama Castle Ruins Park
- Nagamine Pond
- Naumine Castle Ruins
- Hikarigahara Plateau
- Fuchu Hachimangu (Shrine of the God of War)
- Maki Museum of History and Folklore
- Mikaburi Joshi Park
- Mizushina Tombs
- Mitsuzouin Temple (Yoneyama Yakushi Bettouji)
- The Miyaguchi Burial Grounds
- Mushigawa Castle Ruins Park
- Mushigawa Osugi
- Yasuzuka Shrine
- Yamadera Yakushi (Healing Buddha)
- Hall with Lion Statue (Old Naoetsu Bank Building)
- Ryogonji Temple
- Rinsenji Shrine