Takada Sekai-kan (Movie Theater)
The oldest running movie theater in Japan.
In Meiji 44 (1911), this theater was opened as the playhouse "Takadaza," in the old city of Takada at Honcho 6 chome (the present address).
After a few years, it was turned into a movie theater, and after 100 years, remains one of the oldest running movie theaters in Japan.
Visitors can feel the nostalgic craftsmanship in the building itself. Aside from designated important cultural properties, features such as the masterpiece wooden ceiling in the main hall cannot otherwise be found in Japan. The projection room also is un-retouched and just as it was in the old days.
As film projection shifted from actual film to digital video, film projectors disappeared around the country. In the belief that film projection is an art that should be passed down to new generations, film projected screenings are held several times a year. Furthermore, to preserve this skill, film projection seminars and tours of the projection room are also held.
Sekai-kan theater is also registered in Japan as a tangible cultural property as well as a modern industrial heritage site. It is a valuable site for the cultural heritage of film in Japan, gaining the attention of movie afficianados throughout the country.
This location is part of these courses
taking a walk in castle town Takada
tour of history and culture in Takada
|Name of places:||Takada Sekai-kan (Movie Theater)|
|Address:||6-4-21 Honcho, Joetsu-shi, Niigata|
|Traffic access(train):||Take the Echigo Tokimeki Railway Myoko Haneuma Line to Takada Station. From there it's 10 minutes walk.|
|Traffic access(bus):||Take the Kubiki Bus to Honcho 6 chome get.|
|Traffic access(car):||By Hokuriku Expressway: 15 minutes drive from Joetsu IC Exit.
By Joshin-etsu Expressway: 10 minutes drive from Joetsu Takada IC Exit.
025-520-7442 Takada advertising company Purasuten (next door)
If in a hurry, call 090-4492-4092 ( Mr. Ueno)
|Fee:||Adults: ¥1,500 Members: ¥1,300 Seniors (over 60 years of age): ¥1,100 College students: ¥1,100 High school students and younger: ¥800|
|Car parking:||Parking available (up to 20 cars)|
Takada Sekai-kan (Movie Theater)
- Iwadonosan Myoujouin Temple
- Oma Castle Ruins
- Kazamaki Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine Honcho 1
- Kasugayama Castle
- Kasugayama Castle Historic Site Plaza · Kasugayama Castle Ruins Story Museum
- Katakai Jomon Archives
- Iwanohara Vineyard Co., Ltd.
- Gangi Dori (covered walkways)
- Old Imai Dye Shop
- Old Kanazu Kentaro Wooden Bucket Shop
- Former Division Commander's Official Residence
- Kobayashi Kokei Memorial Museum of Art, Kobayashi Kokei Historic Residence
- Goze Museum Takada
- Gochi Kokubunji Temple
- Sakaki Shrine
- Morning Market (Shiku no Ichi)
- Junenji 「Hama no Zenkouji」(Temple)
- Joetsu Municipal General Museum
- Joetsu Archaeological Center
- Joetsu Rekishi kan (Joetsu History Museum) Kamabuta Iseki guidance (Historical Site Guidance Center in Kamabuta)
- Jyoukouji Temple
- Takada Park
- Takada jo sanju yagura (Takada Castle Three-story-Turret)
- Takahashi Magozaemon Shouten (Takahashi Traditional Sweets)
- Nagamine Pond
- Morning Market (Nishichi no Ichi)
- Maki Museum of History and Folklore
- Takada Komachi Exchange Hall (Old townhouses)
- Mizushina Tombs
- Mitsuzouin Temple (Yoneyama Yakushi Bettouji)
- Musee Yuki Komachi
- Mushigawa Osugi
- Yamadera Yakushi (Healing Buddha)
- Rinsenji Shrine