This shrine was originally home to spirits taken from Yonezawa city in Yamagata Prefecture and enshrined here, where Uesugi Kenshin later worshipped.
It was built in 1901 by Meiharu Ogawa, father of children's fairy tale writer Mimei Ogawa.
It is said that the "father of the modern postal system," Maejima Hisoka, also assisted in the construction.
The appearance of the straight and solid lines of the shrine building is spectacular.
In the Memorial Museum adjacent to the grounds, Uesugi Kenshin's old relics, writings and personal items are on display.
Further, visitors can see Ogawa Mimei's poem, "Like Clouds," ("Kumo no Gotoku") carved in stone, as well as several stone statues with a fairytale motif.
This location is part of these courses
|Name of places:||Kasugayama Shrine|
|Address:||1743 Daizu, Joetsu-shi, Niigata|
|Traffic access(train):||By Tokimeki Tetsudo: 40 minute walk from Kasugayama Station on the Myoko Haneuma Line|
|Traffic access(bus):||By Kubiki Bus: 20 minute walk from Naka Yashiki bus stop
15 minute walk from Kasugayama Sansou Mae bus stop
|Traffic access(car):||By Hokuriku Expressway: 15 minutes from the Joetsu IC exit
By Joshinetsu Expressway: 20 minutes from the Joetsu Takada IC exit
(Kasugayama Shrine Memorial Hall)
|Average time to see:||60min
|Holidays:||Kasugayama Shrine Memorial Hall is closed from December 1 to March 31|
|Fee:||Kasugayama Shrine Memorial Hall admission: Adults, ¥200; children ¥100. Discounts for groups over 20.|
|Car parking:||Parking for about 30 cars|
- Oma Castle Ruins
- Ogawa Mimei birth place
- Mimei Ogawa Literature Museum
- Otate Koen Park (Otate ato: former Kanto Kanryo palace site)
- Kazamaki Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine Honcho 1
- Kasugayama Castle
- Kasugayama Castle Historic Site Plaza · Kasugayama Castle Ruins Story Museum
- Kanayasan Park
- Iwanohara Vineyard Co., Ltd.
- Karigane Castle Ruins
- Kyougatake Castle Ruins
- Kobo Natural Spring Water Park
- Kota Shrine
- Kobayashi Kokei Memorial Museum of Art, Kobayashi Kokei Historic Residence
- Gochi Kokubunji Temple
- Sakuguchi Memorial Hall
- Junenji 「Hama no Zenkouji」(Temple)
- Joetsu Archaeological Center
- Jyoukouji Temple
- Chausu Yama Castle Ruins Park
- Japan Ski Origins Musuem
- Ningyo Densetsu Koen (Mermaid Folktale Park)
- Naumine Castle Ruins
- Fuchu Hachimangu (Shrine of the God of War)
- Maejima Memorial Museum
- Mikaburi Joshi Park
- Mushigawa Castle Ruins Park
- Yasuzuka Shrine
- Yoshitomo Yoko-o Memorial Hall
- Ryogonji Temple
- Rinsenji Shrine