The main hall of the temple was completed in 1927 (Showa 2) and is modelled after the Kabuki Theatre that was destroyed in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.
The temple was opened by Inoue Tadanaga, who was once a Genji warrior of Ougigayatsu ("Fan Valley") in Kamakura. After the Kamakura Conflict, Inoue lost his status, hid his name, and moved to Kakizaki where he was known as Ougi-ya, or "Fan Maker."
The wandering monk Shinran was in Echigo (now Niigata) due to difficulties imposed by the prohibition of Buddhism. Here he received his Buddhist name in 1211, which was the beginning.
Treasures of the temple include several of Shinran's beautifully drawn calligraphy and art.
|Name of places:||Joufukuji Temple|
|Address:||6654 Kakizaki, Kakizaki-ku, Joetsu-shi, Niigata|
|Traffic access(train):||By JR: 10 minutes on foot from Kakizaki Station on the Shinetsu Honshin Line|
|Traffic access(bus):||By Kubiki Bus: 7 minutes on foot from Kakizaki Bus Terminal|
|Traffic access(car):||By Hokuriku Expressway: 5 minutes from the Kakizaki IC exit|
|Average time to see:||30min
|Fee:||No admission fee. Please feel free to contribute as much as you wish.|
|Car parking:||Free parking. A medium sized bus can park on the premises. Please park in designated areas.|