Nagao Tamekage, the grandfather of Uesugi Kenshin, had this temple built in the 6th year of the Meiou Period (1497) to morn for his father Shigekage.
Here, from the age of 7 to when he was 14. Uesugi Kenshin spent his younger years under the strict tutelage of the famous monk Tenshitu Kouiku,
Of the warlords of the Sengoku period, Kenshin is said to have been highly cultured and educated, with deep faith. His character is said to have been moulded during his stay here as a boy.
Hori, who replaced Kenshin, also pursued buddist training here, and later protected Lord Takada.
The gate ("Kaemon") which is a designated cultural asset of the city, is said to have been moved here from Kasugayama Castle. The mountain gate is a masterpiece of the Taisho Era, blending Japanese style design from the Kamakura period with Chinese design.
Also, the plaque hanging here proclaiming "The Foremost Truth" ("Dai-ichi gi") is of Kenshin's own handwriting. (The plaque in view is a copy, while the original is preserved with other treasures elsewhere on the grounds).
In the cemetery, the graves of Uesugi Kenshin and other heroes of the Battle of Kawa Nakajima can be found.
This location is part of these courses
visit of Uesugi Kenshin
visit of Uesugi Kenshin's famous places and histric site
|Name of places:||Rinsenji Shrine|
|Address:||1-1-1 Nakamonzen, Joetsu-shi, Niigata|
|Traffic access(train):||By Tokimeki Tetsudo: 30 minutes by foot or 5 minutes by car from Kasugayama Station on the Myoko Haneuma Line|
|Traffic access(bus):||By Kubiki Bus: Just as you get off at Rinsenji Iriguchi bus stop|
|Traffic access(car):||By Hokuriku Expressway: 15 minutes from the Joetsu IC exit
By Joshinetsu Expressway: 20 minutes from the Joetsu Takada IC exit
|Fee:||Elementary or junior high school students: ¥250, Adults: ¥500. For groups of 25 or more, 10% off. For groups of 100 or more, 20% off.|
|Car parking:||Free parking for 10 large busses or 30 passenger cars|
- Iwadonosan Myoujouin Temple
- Oma Castle Ruins
- Otate Koen Park (Otate ato: former Kanto Kanryo palace site)
- Kazamaki Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine
- Kasuga Shrine Honcho 1
- Kasugayama Castle
- Kasugayama Castle Historic Site Plaza · Kasugayama Castle Ruins Story Museum
- Kasugayama Shrine
- Katakai Jomon Archives
- Iwanohara Vineyard Co., Ltd.
- Karigane Castle Ruins
- Kyougatake Castle Ruins
- Kota Shrine
- Kobayashi Kokei Memorial Museum of Art, Kobayashi Kokei Historic Residence
- Gochi Kokubunji Temple
- Junenji 「Hama no Zenkouji」(Temple)
- Joetsu Archaeological Center
- Joetsu Municipal General Museum
- Joetsu Rekishi kan (Joetsu History Museum) Kamabuta Iseki guidance (Historical Site Guidance Center in Kamabuta)
- Jyoukouji Temple
- Takada Sekai-kan (Movie Theater)
- Takahashi Magozaemon Shouten (Takahashi Traditional Sweets)
- Chausu Yama Castle Ruins Park
- Nagamine Pond
- Naumine Castle Ruins
- Fuchu Hachimangu (Shrine of the God of War)
- Maki Museum of History and Folklore
- Mikaburi Joshi Park
- Mizushina Tombs
- Mitsuzouin Temple (Yoneyama Yakushi Bettouji)
- Mushigawa Castle Ruins Park
- Mushigawa Osugi
- Yasuzuka Shrine
- Yamadera Yakushi (Healing Buddha)
- Ryogonji Temple